[wplug] chmod with symlinks.

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Sat Aug 17 17:55:23 EDT 2002

This came up at the tutorial.

>From the chmod man page:

--------
chmod never changes the permissions of symbolic links; the
       chmod system call cannot change their  permissions.   This
       is  not  a problem since the permissions of symbolic links
       are never used.  However, for each symbolic link listed on
       the  command  line,  chmod  changes the permissions of the
       pointed-to file.   In  contrast,  chmod  ignores  symbolic
       links encountered during recursive directory traversals.

---------

As for the links that we saw in /proc that didn't have lrwxrwxrwx
permissions, I'm going to claim that all bets are off because /proc is a
virtual filesystem.

-james