[wplug] Laptop Problem

Edward C. Smith edward.smith at forum.com
Wed Aug 14 05:44:03 EDT 2002

I actually have a simmilar setup with two older laptops I've aquired. I run IceWM with Mozilla and XChat on the oldest one (a 486 50Mhz with 20Megs) It makes a great way for me to chat with friends while sitting with my wife watching TV.

I'd be interested setting up a discussion for all of us users of older laptops trying to find an optimal solution that let's us keep useing linux on our Craptops.

-Ed

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:01:13 -0400
Ben Beige <gunnar at zbzoom.net> wrote:

> At a browser level, once laoded Opra out preforms IE on and OS. the
> problem is usualy load time, and try links rather then lynx, then you
> get frames suport.
>
> Ben
>
> Keir Josephson wrote:
>
> >Hey all,
> >
> >I've got a dilema that I could use a hand in resolving, and this seems to
> >be a good group to pose the question to. First some background. I've been
> >a moderate linux user of various distros for a few years now. Every now
> >and then I throw a different version or a different config on a laptop
> >that I have so I can play around with it. It's a toshiba with a 12inch tft
> >display, PII-266mhz, & 160megs of ram. I've never had any problems
> >installing any of the linux distributions on this box (I've only tried a
> >2.2.x kernel and above).
> >
> >Now for the problem.
> >
> >I'm trying to get a desktop linux running on this thing so that it will
> >outperform an install of win2k pro. Don't get me wrong, at the command
> >level, most distros fly with a few minor tweeks, but when I want to run a
> >gui app or two, things slow down to a crawl.
> >
> >The only two gui based apps that I need are the obvious ones: a graphical
> >web browser (sorry, I had my fill of lynx) and a word processing utility
> >(i.e. Open Office). The word processing is secondary, but the web browser
> >is a must. I know that there is an issue with web browsers for linux
> >matching the raw speed of IE. And as much as I hate to say it, I think
> >it's just the simple result of building the browser in at the kernel
> >level, and to my knowledge, no one has built a browser into the base
> >libraries much less into the kernel level of a linux distribution.
> >
> >At any rate, I'm trying to do what I can with what I have. I've tried
> >gnome, kde, and windowmaker with a variety of browsers. The window
> >managers and the browsers all load and run fine, but they seem to have the
> >same major issue with rendering graphics quickly and efficiently on a web
> >page. I thought this may have had to do with the mozilla engine so I tried
> >opera as well. It wasn't any better. I've also tossed around the idea of
> >doing a minimal install with the base X libraries. Then using the Star
> >Office desktop gui as the window manager for graphical interaction. I
> >haven't tried it, yet, but I'm guessing that it won't make a difference if
> >the problem is inherent with the underlying X libraries themselves.
> >
> >Does anyone have any ideas or is this machine doomed to run windows
> >forever?
> >
> >-Keir

Edward C. Smith
Programmer