[wplug] Need install help.

Coutch, Robert Robert_E_Coutch at tvratings.com
Tue Aug 13 10:05:42 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I've been using Linux for a couple of years now but still run into some
problems occasionally that I can't solve.

I pulled and old IBM PC server with dual Pentium 133 motherboard from my
basement ( it used to run Win NT 4).

I tried to install several of the newer distros of Linux (Mandrake , SuSE
7.3, RedHat 7.2) then some slightly older
versions (SuSE 7.1, Rehat 7) but without good results.

I would like to get a kernel 2.4 version distro installed but they all bomb
shortly after choosing install from the main menu
(just after lilo/grub) with a CPU#:0 Exception error.

The older kernel 2.2 distro's install but don't seem to recognize the second
processor.

I finally tried RedHat 6.2 which installed without a problem.
I told it to install the smp kernel and it works without a hitch. I even set
up a RAID mirror set on two of the SCSI drives.

My questions are:

Can I get a kernel 2.4 distro installed or are there hardware limitations
I'm not aware of ?
(I really want the better smp of kernel 2.4 and reiser file system on the
machine.)
I don't think my RH 6.2 install is kernel 2.4 ready.

Where can I find a list of parameters that can be passed to the kernel at
boot time ?
I'm familiar with a few (hdd=ide-scsi and the like) but would like a more
in-depth list.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

R.E.Coutch