[wplug] tool for editing the fstab

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Thu Aug 1 22:54:01 EDT 2002

|i dunno, i'm a big fan of vim ..

i'm a big fan of vim also.

|not sure if i'm understand what you mean by "tool" then ... are you
|looking for a more automated (if that's the right word) perhaps graphical
|tool to setup fstab for you?

i probably should have stated my purpose originally.  i don't want
something graphical what i want is something like:

fstabadd -m <fs_file> -s <fs_spec> -t <fs_vfstype> \\
   -o <fs_mntops> -f <fs_freq>  -p <fs_passno>

where it will add the new mount point if say:

that mount point isn't already being used, the fs_vfstype makes sense
(support for that filesystem type), the mount options make sense, etc.

when i add a new disk to the file server i want to add something to the
nightly scripts that will add the new line to the fstabs on all of the
computers on the network. i don't want to login to each computer and edit
the fstab manually. it's kind of a pain to do it that way.

i can probably hack something together in perl to do some of the checks
above.

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17 at pitt.edu        |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
Rob a convenience store and you're a "theif". Screw thousands
of people out of their life savings, send them to the
unemployment lines and beat the economy when it's already
down and you're "corporate wrongdoer".