[wplug] eth0 missing

Lee Brinton lee at leebrinton.net
Sat Apr 13 13:25:20 EDT 2002

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 12:59:04PM -0700, Logan wrote:
> on my recent Debian install, ifconfig -a only lists the local loopback, I
> don't think it detected the eathernet card in the install. How do I get it
> to recognize the card?

Take look at your /etc/network/interfaces file. Mine looks like this:

### etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

auto lo eth0 eth1

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The ethernet interface, configured by etherconf
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.10
	netmask 255.255.255.0

iface eth1 inet dhcp
    up /etc/firewall

If you don't have a iface section for eth0 or eth0 is not on the auto line
that maybe your problem.

Lee Brinton | lee at leebrinton.net