[wplug] poli: the SSSCA threat is real

David Ostroske eksortso at linuxmail.org
Thu Apr 11 02:17:27 EDT 2002

Hey everyone,

Sorry to leak more politics into WPLUG. But if you
haven't been reading up on this, you might someday
be shocked to discover that Linux has been outlawed.

It works like this: under the CBDTPA, a bill now
before Congress, you can't sell hardware that
doesn't have (secret) copy protection built in. The
copy-protection scheme would have to be a part of
the Linux kernel, which would make it illegal,
because compiling and running the open-source code
would count as circumventing the copy protection.

http://www.eff.org/IP/SSSCA_CBDTPA/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html
http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/02/04/04/203234.shtml?tid=116
http://www.lemurzone.com/news/march312002.htm
http://www.digitalconsumer.org/

That last link gives you a way to fax your rep in
Congress a message stating opposition to the CBDTPA.
Might be a good idea to throw a word in at the end
about Linux or your (other) favorite open-source OS.

And apparently, there's a movement to create a
Political Action Committee for geeks. Draft info
here:
http://www.thelinuxshow.com/otc.htm

One major reason I bring this up: lawmakers don't
know what all this tech stuff is about, or why it's
empowering, and we've got to let them know why it's
important, before they start legislating it out of
existence.

--- David Ostroske
    eksortso at linuxmail.org