[wplug] y2k workaround

redtoade redtoade at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 16:34:14 EDT 2002

I've been lurking for a few months... and its time I
asked my first question:

Setup:  486/66 that I've been using as a
firewall/gateway.  16M RAM.  RedHat 6.2.  (Why?
Because it's a pain in my butt to try to get Slackware
to reckognize two ISA eth cards using the same
SMC-Ultra mod.  Plus Bastille works better on
RedHat.... unfortunately RedHat 7.0 and beyond
requires 32M of memory to install... and memory for
these legacy boards costs more than buying a new
computer).

Problem:  Bios on board isn't Y2K compliant.  Which
means when I reboot, 2002 dates become 1993 dates.  My
logs go haywire.

Desired Solution:  I would like to store the current
date on my system somewhere, and update it every 15
minutes or so... and when a shutdown command is
issued.  Then upon reboot add 10 minutes (based on
average restart time) and set the system clock to this
date PRIOR to doing ANYTHING else.... that way my logs
won't show any 1993 dates... and they'll be in the
ballpark.  I would then ntpdate to the correct time
once eth0 is brought up.

Any ideas how to go about doing this?  Or is there a
better solution?