[wplug] LVS

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Sat Apr 6 00:51:45 EST 2002

My experience is with Red Hat so YMMV.

I would start by either getting the kernel source package and install
that. That will put the kernel source in /usr/src/linux or similar. I also
think you'll need to cd into that directory, and run make
{config|menuconfig|xconfig} and configure the kernel to be close to what
you already have. In RH, they ship the config files that they used in
/usr/src/linux/configs, copy the appropriate config to
/usr/src/linux/.config and run make oldconfig I don't think you need to
actually build the kernel with these steps. If this doesn't help, try this
other suggestion:

Download a fresh kernel, and follow similar steps as above, except you'll
want to use this kernel as your new boot kernel.

The reason you'll want to try the first option is because sometimes
distributions like to patch the kernel with various outside packages and
often they add extra numbers to the kernel version to distinguish between
their own internal versions. If you compile a kernel with a different
kernel version, it will fail and/or complain about loading, and bets are
off. I'm sure there is a way to tweak fresh source to work, but you're
gambling with incompatibilities IMO.

-james