[wplug] /dev/ttyS0 busy

Henry Umansky hmust2+ at pitt.edu
Thu Apr 4 11:24:44 EST 2002

Modem is broken, or you need see if there is an updated module for your
modem.

--On Thursday, April 04, 2002 11:17 AM -0500 J Aaron Farr
<jaaron_farr at hotmail.com> wrote:r

>> Also, check to make sure that there isn't a lockfile somewhere that's
>> keeping any other processes from opening the device file.  Check out
>> /var/lock for starters.
>>

> Thanks to everyone for the quick replies.  The status is currently as
> follows:
>
> fuser /dev/ttyS0 isn't turning up anything.
>
> minicom - I'm not very familiar with minicom, but all it does is time out
> when I attempt to connect to the modem.
>
> I don't see anything in the /var/lock directory that would be for the
> serial port.  Under /var/lock/subsys I have the following files:   anacron
>   apmd
>   atd
>   crond
>   CWnn
>   gpm
>   ipchains
>   keytable
>   kudzu
>   local
>   netfs
>   network
>   nfslock
>   pcmia
>   portmap
>   random
>   sendmail
>   syslog
>   tWnn
>   xfs
>   xinetd
>
> That's all the contents of /var/lock
>
> The error messages I get are:
>
> wvdial under root:
>   --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS0: Input/output error
>
> pppd under root:
>   chat[1199]: Can't get terminal parameters: Input/output error
>
> kppp under root:
>   "Sorry, the modem is busy"
>
> wvdial under normal user:
>   --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS0: Device or resource busy
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks again
> jaaron
>
> email: jaaron_farr at hotmail.com
> http://www.geocities.com/jaaronfarr

> Support Freedoms of the Information Age:
> http://www.eff.org
> http://www.digitalconsumer.org

Henry Umansky
hmust2 at pitt.edu

"In a world without gates, who needs windows" -Linux Journal

"When will you people learn? In America we stopped using corporal
punishment and things have never been better. The streets are safe, old
people strut confidently trough the darkest alleys and the weak and nerdy
are admired for their computer programming abilities. So, like us, let your
children run wild and free. Because, as the old saying goes, let your
children run wild and free." -Homer Simpson