[wplug] /dev/ttyS0 busy

J Aaron Farr jaaron_farr at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 4 11:17:22 EST 2002

>Also, check to make sure that there isn't a lockfile somewhere that's
>keeping any other processes from opening the device file.  Check out
>/var/lock for starters.

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies.  The status is currently as
follows:

fuser /dev/ttyS0 isn't turning up anything.

minicom - I'm not very familiar with minicom, but all it does is time out
when I attempt to connect to the modem.

I don't see anything in the /var/lock directory that would be for the serial
port.  Under /var/lock/subsys I have the following files:
  anacron
  apmd
  atd
  crond
  CWnn
  gpm
  ipchains
  keytable
  kudzu
  local
  netfs
  network
  nfslock
  pcmia
  portmap
  random
  sendmail
  syslog
  tWnn
  xfs
  xinetd

That's all the contents of /var/lock

The error messages I get are:

wvdial under root:
  --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS0: Input/output error

pppd under root:
  chat[1199]: Can't get terminal parameters: Input/output error

kppp under root:
  "Sorry, the modem is busy"

wvdial under normal user:
  --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS0: Device or resource busy

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again
jaaron

email: jaaron_farr at hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/jaaronfarr

Support Freedoms of the Information Age:
http://www.eff.org
http://www.digitalconsumer.org