[wplug] IP addresses

Ed Aiken eaiken at home.com
Wed Sep 19 19:50:01 EDT 2001

> Why does that work?  I was under the impression that you should ping the
> broadcast address.  Can you explain what happens when you ping the
> network?  I'd appreciate it...

pinging the network or broadcast on a data link would reveal any hosts
cabable of responding to icmp requests or echo zero broadcasts.

Both use same packet structure as well as icmp type / code pairing (type 8
for request; type 0 for reply and code 0 for both).

the data link dest addr in both cases are equal to ffffffffffff
(broadcast/all nodes); dest ip in either case reaches every host in most
circumstances.

.ed