[wplug] IP addresses

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Wed Sep 19 17:03:12 EDT 2001

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> ping your network address, and examine the arp table ('/usr/sbin/arp' or so).
>
> Your network address being your IP address bitwise ANDed to your
> netmask.
>
> Of course this won't work if the machines aren't all on and connected
> to the network.

I tried this because I had heard of it before, but I get different results
each time, and I don't think there are that many machines leaving my
network to account for it.

I ran this:

ping 172.25.0.0 -b -c 5 ; arp |wc -l

The first few times I got 122 on one machine and 97 on another. Each time
I do this, the number is lower and lower. I just got 11 the last time I
tried. Is this something that is required to be supported in TCP, or does
it just happen to work?

-james