[wplug] Re: Fatal Error During Installation! Any Ideas?

Eric Hsiung ehsiung at bellatlantic.net
Tue Sep 18 20:22:45 EDT 2001

For hard drives, I usually go to the manufacturer's web site and
download their low-level diagnostics package. I've used such
utilities from Western Digital, Seagate and Quantum; other disk
manufacturers probably have them as well. Since they are
vendor-specific, these utilities sometimes perform additional test
and inform you if your drive has been subject to a recall. For
example, the Western Digital 31600 drives from a few years
ago that were replaced for free.

If you are willing to spend a few bucks, Spin-Rite from Gibson
Research (www.grc.com) has served me well (though to be honest
I haven't used it in a couple of years).

Eric