[wplug] wired resp

Patrick Weber paw160 at psu.edu
Thu Sep 13 21:18:34 EDT 2001

John,

I fully understand your argument.  Windows and Linux are apples and
oranges.  And that is part of the point.  The article doesn't compare
them.  It merely states that Windows has in fact won on the desktop.  Many
of us realize the capabilities of Linux.  However the immensely steep
learning curve for the average user limits its access to only the techies
who can deal with that.  There is the Aunt Tilly factor that will always
determine the better operating system for the home desktop user.  No doubt
Linux is more stable, but in Windows you will never (supposedly) have to do
more than point and click.  Linux is very intimidating to desktop users who
want nothing more than to send their email and write a letter in
Word.  Therefore it is important to not compare Linux and Windows, for each
achieve different goals.  Linux will never be the desktop operating system
that Windows is, so let's stop pretending that it might.  We use Linux to
develop software, act as a super stable server, whatever.  It is a
different type of tool for a different type of task.

--patrick