[wplug] WIRED

David Gerard Matthews Jr. dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Thu Sep 13 21:28:03 EDT 2001

I personally could not disagree more.  I have been very happily running
Linux as a desktop OS for a year, and quite honestly find it superior to
Winblows in just about every respect.  Note that I am not some hardcore
techie who writes all his own software, nor I am a "Slashdot elitist"
who lambasts anyone incapable of speaking fluent bash.  I'm just a
normal, everyday user, who was sick of large corporations dictating to
me the best way to use my computer.
Besides, commercial Unix vendors have already more or less levied behind
Linux (especially IBM, SGI, and HP) and even Sun has taken steps towards
making Solaris more Linux-like (adopting Gnome, open-sourcing Star
Office).
WRT elitism, I can't imagine a more elitist and arrogant attitude than
insisting that Linux is only meant for servers.  The overwhelming
majority of computer users will never administer a server (I certainly
never have) and most will never even write a program (okay, I've done
that), but that doesn't mean that they can't benefit from a robust,
secure, free (as in speech) operating system.  Hardcore techies may look
down on distros like Mandrake and SuSE, but to a newbie who may be
interested in Linux it's important to have an interface which rivals
Windows in user-friendliness.
As far as apps go, it's true that we are missing some key apps.  I have
been unable to completely trash Windows (much as I'd like to) because I
still need access to a single application.  However, that situation is
changing rapidly.  I find StarOffice 5.2 at least functional (for my
needs at least) as M$ Office.  I never liked IE even when I used Windows
and MacOS.  Really, most off the street computer users I know need a
word processor, web browser, email client, MP3 player, and maybe
photo-editing or CD-burning software, all of which are readily available
for Linux.  Give them Mandrake with a current version of KDE or Gnome,
and they'd be as set as if they were on a windows box.
Lastly, while Linux is not often thought of as a multimedia platform,
its strengths in that area have frequently gone unnoticed among many
Linux users.  In my own field of computer music I have come to rely on
GPL'd apps which duplicate or surpass the functionality of commercial
products for Windows or MacOS costing in some cases $500-$1000.  I have
no doubt that there are other small fields where Linux has been making
inroads, perhaps among small communities within small communities, and
enabling people to do work which might not have been possible with
commercial software.
My $0.02.  Flame away....
-dgm