[wplug] Building/Buying a Quieter Machine

David Gerard Matthews Jr. dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Thu Sep 13 17:05:28 EDT 2001

This is certainly something that interests me as well.  There are
companies out there (I can't remember names off the top of my head; saw
it on Slashdot awhile back) that make cases and power supplies
specifically designed to quiet your system down.  You'll have to expect
to pay substantially more for them, however (which is why I haven't done
it.)  There's also a company called Raxxess that makes something called
an Iso-Rack, which is basically a box with a fan in it and and
sound-proofing along the inside.  Or you could do what some people do,
and buy some extender cables for your monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and
put the box in a closet.
-dgm