[wplug] Veritas on Linux

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Thu Sep 6 18:46:09 EDT 2001

I saw this posted on a SuSE mailing list by some SuSE staff.
For those folks wanting to deploy Big Linux Stuff including
Veritas, this may be of interest.

----------

(Those who don't know who/what Veritas is can stop reading now, sorry to
bother you...)

This is to those who
- know what Veritas is and there volume management software and
filesystem
- are willing and able to spend lots of money on it (vs. "I'm curious
and like to test")
- already know they want this stuff (on Linux)

I do not want to convince anyone of using Veritas products, so this is
anything but marketing for them.

It just happens that they are a big name in big backup and storage
management, which both are big topics for databases, obviously. And
they're an Oracle partner, e.g. see the VOS (Veritas, Oracle, Sun)
initiative (forgot the URL). We've been talking to them for a while.
They've done the linux port but they don't want to actively push this
market, instead they want customers to push them. Makes sense since
currently many people test/use Linux but very few in big $$$
installations where Veritas has their business.

So they are asking customers to step forward.

++Mark Dalrymple, markd at badgertronics.com  http://badgertronics.com
  "Food: Any kind of flake food will do just fine, though some fish
         fanciers suggest buying some brine fish treats too, for
         variery. Honestly, I can't taste the difference at all."
     -- Andy Ihnatko, "The Original Macquarium"