[wplug] dual boot problems

Luquilla Hughes luquilla at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 09:25:22 EDT 2001

My understanding below, corrections appreciated, flames can be directed to
/dev/null.

1. Yes it would mean installing a boot loader like lilo onto the harddisk.
GRUB, another boot loader, is supposed to be very good also. try either man
Linux or http://www.google.com/search?q=grub

2. Yes you can use the scsi hard disks space on Linux, assuming your scsi
card is supported. You would need to either partition off space on the
windows machine or simply mount the drive.(note: ext2 will provide better
performance than fatXX, as I understand it). Try; man mount
To have it done at boot up you will want to modify the etc/fstab file and
IIRC there is a tool for that but I can't remember what it is called off the
top of my head...been a while since I used redhat.
<2cents> You would be better to install windows on the IDE drive if you use
it very little and Linux on the SCSI, if supported, as the performance of
SCSI is supposed to be superior to IDE.</2cents>

3. Linmodems are cheaper but several people are working on making them
compatible with Linux, even though taking cycles from the cpu to do meanial
tasks is a bad idea. Never tried it but start with this;
http://www.google.com/search?q=linmodem

Does anybody know why the reply to was set dirrectly for him and not wplug?

Tom's rootboot...Don't leave home without it.