[wplug] IDE for C and C++

Weber, Larry A laweber at switch.com
Tue Sep 4 09:32:02 EDT 2001

I have been looking for a good IDE to develop C and C++ programs.  So far I
have tried DDD, KDevelop, and KDBug.

DDD was installed from an RPM so it runs but seems to be very buggy when
interfacing to kplot.

KDBug won't install and KDevelop won't build my files.  Both of these
problems seem to be related to compilation commands that are generated
either in their configuration file or makefile.  Both assume the compile
command is cc vs. gcc and cpp vs. g++.  This appears to be a problem with
several other application builds I have tried.

So I have two questions:

Has anyone had good success with an IDE (or at least a GUI interface to
gdb)?

How do I get around the problem where installations are looking for the
wrong compiler tools?

(Using RH7.1, with gcc 3.0 installed in /usr/local/bin)

-laweber