[wplug] linux on mac?

Doug Green doug.green at verizon.net
Mon Sep 3 23:04:29 EDT 2001

Hi all-

Recently my boss offered to "trade" computers because he needs a windows
98 machine in the office. The deal would be that I'll inherit a 300MHz
Mac G3 (the blue one) for a Hewlett Packard PII 450. Not a bad trade if
you ask me... but I was wondering: does anyone have any experience running
linux on a mac? How about OSX? I mostly use my laptop, so I really
don't care what desktop is sitting in my home, but before I give
away my PC, I'd like to collect some advice from any mac people... can I
run linux on this thing and/or is OSX all it's cracked up to be (ie: can
I compile packages native to linux or unix on it)?

Thanks
Doug