[wplug] startup directory

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Wed Oct 31 15:50:36 EST 2001

Sometime in October Romano, Christopher assaulted keyboard and produced...

|I have some scripts that I would like to run when my system boots.  What
|directory do I put them in?  I am using RH7.1.  I got mysql to run.  I
|removed it then install it from source.  Thanks for the suggestions.
|
|Chris

look at the file: /etc/inittab and look for a line that looks like:

id:#:initdefault:

where '#' is some number. '#' represents your default runlevel. this is what
it boots too. any script you put in /etc/rc#.d that starts with an 'S' will be
started at bot time. if you look at the files you will see that the S's are
followed by two numbers. these numbers represent the order in which the
different files are executed. so you would want to name your file S99something
to run something last.

alternatively there what might be more usefile would be to make a script
called runstuff and put all the commands you want to run at boot time within
that script. then you can symlink /path/to/runstuff to /etc/rc#.d/S99runstuff.

this might be confusing. if so let me know and i'll try to clear stuff up. i'm
kinda tired right now.

--
john
(On going to war over religion) "You're basically killing