[wplug] using windows software in linux

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Tue Oct 30 14:35:35 EST 2001

Sometime in October Emilio Xavier Esposito assaulted keyboard and produced...

|I would like to use some of my windows software on my linux box, yet do not
|know what to use.  Several places have suggested Wine since its free, while
|others have suggested Win4Lin 3.0 or VMWare.  Does anyone have any
|experiences with any of these products and which one provides the best
|results?  If I'm to use Wine which release should I use (redhat, codeweaver,
|....)?
|Thanks
|Emilio
|
|exesposito at kent.net

i think it would come down to the application you are trying to use. if your
application needs to respond quickly you will probably have to use wine or
win4lin. i use vmware at school for ms office documents (word running within a
virtual machine seems faster than star office running natively) and vmware
works really well for this. it is slower however. i've tried out win4lin in
the past and it is really impressive.

i would first check to see if your application works in wine:
http://appdb.codeweavers.com

if your application doesnt work in wine, i would then determin how much
responsiveness you will be requiring. if you need your application to be
fairly responsive i would look at win4lin.

you might also find this useful:
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-12/lw-12-penguin_2.html
it's a bit dated, but probably still useful.

--
john
(On going to war over religion) "You're basically killing