[wplug] Upcoming GUM Topics?

David Gerard Matthews Jr. dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Fri Oct 26 14:16:36 EDT 2001

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu wrote:

> i'm going to invite some musician friends of mine. could someone post an
> outline of what will probably be going to be discussed?

Cool! (Being a musician myself, I love to talk to other musicians.)
I'll out line my tentative plan below.  If anyone has any suggestions,
I'll be happy to take them.

1. Available software for sound editing (Snd, DAP, ecasound, BC2000,
GLAME) and projects in the works (ardour, GSMP).
2. Optimizing your system for effective sound editing and low-latency
(drivers, kernel tweaks, etc.)
3. Mini-overview of a sound editor (I'd probably use Snd, but if anyone
has a preference, I'll look into it.)
4. Resources for info on Linux audio (websites, lists, books, etc.)

I'm not sure how much time we'll have; there are other related things
people might be interested in (software synthesis, MIDI, etc.)  Someone
also asked about programming toolkits for audio; I know less about that,
but I can point you in the right direction for finding out more info.
Does that sound good to everyone?  Again, I'm open to suggestions at
this poin, so send me feedback!
-dgm