[wplug] Need suggestions

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Fri Oct 19 19:24:12 EDT 2001

Sometime in October Romano, Christopher assaulted keyboard and produced...

|sorry this might be a bit long.  What I'm trying to do is pretty much
|develop a web app, however I am not sure what's the best way to do it.  Any
|suggestions?  This is what I want to do.  Take a comma delimited file from a
|user's computer and populate(sp?) a mySQL database on a webserver.  Then,
|from a web browser be able to access the database.  Like add/delete records,
|query it with SQL statements and print out reports. I was thinking about
|using PHP for all the web stuff.
|wplug mailing list
|wplug at wplug.org

hey.

there are numerous scripting languages you can use. i used to use PHP but i
droped it for perl. i wanted to use web pages to interface with my databases,
but later i decided that i wanted to also be able to access it from the
console. this ment that i would have to duplicate my efforts (write stuff in
php and perl). at the time i was not aware of a way to execute php scripts
from the console (if you dont include lynx http://bob.com/bob.php). for this
reason i chose to use perl. it took a while to convert stuff over to perl. it
is nice now because i can use the same libraries using the console based
scripts as the web frontend.

if you are familar with php, you should be able to do what you described very
easily. php is a friendly language. from what i've read it interacts fine with
mysql. if you have more specific questions feel free to ask.

--
john
-dirt it's what we die for.