[wplug] Package grief

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Wed Oct 10 15:11:09 EDT 2001

Sometime in October mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu assaulted keyboard and produced...

|Please don't start a flame-war over this but:
|
|When I used to run RH 5.2 I pretty much gave up all hope on getting the
|package system function cohesively.  I wound up treating the system like
|a Slackware system and installing stuff from tar.gz all the time.  When I
|used rpm I had to use --no-deps and --force all the time, which effectively
|made it into a way to distribute a binary tar.gz.

i used to use spanish musketts to defend my apartment and man they were a
pain in the ars'-no more spanish made guns for me. really redhat has gotten
alot better in the last few years. i wouldn't hazard to comment on a two
year old expirence with debian and compare it with say mandrake 8.x-or the
latest from suse for that matter. i use redhat at school and debian at
home. from what i understand about up2date you can get the same type of
functionality from redhat as apt gives you in redhat.

since you brought it up. whenever i try to upgrade debian from stable to
testing or unstable i always get an error: "like cannot override file
xxxx.xxx it is owned by package xxxxxxxx" or something similar. this
requires me to remove xxxxx with dpkg then readd it later. perhaps i'm
doing something incorrectly. normally i change the sources.list file in
/etc/apt then i run apt-get update, apt-get upgrade-dist. is there
something i'm missing. i believe my roommate has had similar expirences
with debian, but he can speak for himself. we only hear good things from
the debian community about apt so it must be something with the way we
caress the keyboard or something.

--
john
-dirt it's what we die for.