[wplug] Package grief

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Wed Oct 10 14:11:07 EDT 2001

> Is it just the packages I am trying to install
> This week's grief is being caused by Gnuplot.
> I downloaded the source

Why mess with the source?  I'm sure there are GnuPlot RPMs out there.
Google shows some (but avoid the linuxppc ones).

With that out of the way...

> The build crashes when it cannot find vga.h.
> vga.h was not included in the source package.

I'd try to find the vga.h - whether by 'locate', or using
find (e.g. find / -name vga.h -print), and then tweaking the makefile
to find it.

> (It really bothers me that when I had to install
> Gnuplot on a Win98 system, it took less than a minute and is worked fine the
> first time.)

Bet if you tried installing it from source i'd take longer :-)
Linux hasn't caught up yet in the ease of installation area.  From
what I've seen of Debian's apt-get, it looks like the closest to
Installation Nirvana.

A Package Management 101 would be a cool talk.

Cheers,
++Mark Dalrymple, markd at badgertronics.com.  http://badgertronics.com
  "in general, you should always explore career paths like 'rock star' or
   'professional basketball player' before worrying about finding a cool
   tech job"
     -- Rzolf