[wplug] 32 bit ISA graphics card?

brians at cs.cmu.edu brians at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 9 17:49:25 EDT 2001

> I just thought of something we mentioned in my computer interfacing class.
> The bus bandwith needed to get 1024x768 with 32 bit color depth was ~
> 150MB/s, and the total bandwith of the ISA and EISA bus's were a lot lower
> then that.  What res were you planning on using?  You could end up trying
> to get better performance then the card/bus is capable of.

That seems a bit oversimplified.  1024x768 at 32bit may require a
bandwidth of 150MB/s, but that bandwidth  requirement may only apply
between the video card and the monitor. (Beware of cheap video cables for
highres, folks!)
Now, if you were doing full-screen full-motion video at 60fps, you'd
probably need that bandwidth on the bus, but if he's doing 2D windows
(lowercase w) stuff, I think it would use much (maybe 10000 times?) less
bandwidth on the bus.