[wplug] PATH housekeeping

Weber, Larry A laweber at switch.com
Thu Oct 4 08:47:07 EDT 2001

I have been trying to clean up the default $PATH.  Currently there are
duplicate directory searches that I would like to clean out.  I have
searched /etc but cannot find a file(s) that set $PATH to the value echoed.
Even if there are multiple files building it, the segments don't match up.
I am using RH7.1 and find $PATH being set (absolutely or conditionally) in
several places, particularly in /etc rc.sysinit, profile, and csh.login, and
anacrontab.  Again, none of these, or any combination, are building the
default $PATH.

I have installed updated versions of some of the tools that were installed
by the distro (gcc, and others).  I don't want to blow away the original yet
so I installed them into /usr/local/.  I would like the new versions to be
found first.  I have considered three ways, alias, ln, and changing the path
search order.  Whatever I do, I don't want to have to redo every time I open
a terminal or reboot.  And it would be nice if it where the same for all
users.  Any suggestions as to the best way?