[wplug] /home fs permissions?

Juan Zuluaga jz31416 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 13:04:03 EST 2001

Hello,
sorry for the basic question,

I have this problem,
as juan2 user (or under any other user name), I have
no write permissions in my /home/juan2 directory.
$ls -la /home
drwxr-xr-x   7 root    root   16384   Dec 31  1969 ./
drwxr-xr-x  19 root    root    4096   Nov 30 01:17 ../
drwxr-xr-x   2 root    root    8192   Nov 15 20:32
juan/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root    root    8192   Nov 29 23:01
juan2/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root    root    8192   Nov 30 01:11
juan4/
(...)

Even as root I can not change ownership or group of
those directories.
root at drakstar:/home/juan2# chown juan2 xpm1.tgz
chown: xpm1.tgz: Operation not permitted

My /home directory is located in a vfat partition,
since I want to easily use those files with Windows95
applications running in the same computer.

$ cat /etc/fstab
(...)
/dev/hda8   /home   vfat   defaults  1   0
(...)

I would assume that "defaults" in the options filed
gives me read-and-write permissions. I guess that if I
were the only user, I could specify the corresponding
values for uid, gid and mode in the options field in
fstab.
Is there a general solution, for allowing rw
permissions in a vfat /home  ?
(my computer is running Slackware 7.1;
my hda hardrive is a 8 gig Western Digital that can
not be recognized by the mb bios, and needs EZ-drive
to be booted;
I use loadlin to boot Linux)
Thanks!