[wplug] CD-RW suddenly stopped working

Beth Skwarecki skwareea at screech.cs.alfred.edu
Thu Nov 29 15:55:32 EST 2001

My new CD-RW (made by Teac, IDE, with scsi emulation, 2.4.14 kernel) burned
a few cds and then suddenly stopped working. I can't even mount it as a
regular IDE drive. It used to show up in dmesg as an "ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
drive" but now is "ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 3) drive" and I get these errors
(among others):

	SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
	scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
	scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun
	0 Inquiry 00 00 00 ff 00
	hdb: lost interrupt
	hdb: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
	hdb: ATAPI reset complete
	hdb: status error: status=0x08 { DataRequest }

The last time it was working was when I started a CD ripping and then left
the room, only to come back later and find the drive still spinning and no
ripping done - it wouldn't eject so I had to use a paperclip.

I've tried power cycling, leaving it off overnight, switching to the other
IDE cable, booting without the hdc=scsi option ... no luck.

So, any bright ideas? Or is the drive shot and I should just deal with Teac
support?

Thanks for any help
-beth

--
Beth Skwarecki
http://www.loxosceles.org/

Apathy Club meeting this Friday.  If you want to come, you're not invited.