[wplug] disk:ram ratios

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Fri Nov 16 17:17:07 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Rob Nelson wrote:
> Normally, but even 4 gig of RAM right now costs less than $1k. I dunno the
> ratios, but if you were to buy an extra gig of ram (and I presume 3 more, for
> a total of 4, would be even better) it's not that much of an expense but with
> appreciable difference. What's the mem usage look like on the machine? Does
> top show any hogs?

It is not exactly a lack of RAM problem because it hasn't used swap yet.
It tends to have about 400M in disk buffers, my question comes down to,
how much of a speed improvement will having more disk buffers make? I
found 3gigs of ram on my desk that I can put in, but that will have to
wait until the next scheduled downtime.

-james