[wplug] new guideline for videos at gums and installfests

David Ostroske eksortso at linuxmail.org
Mon Nov 12 19:09:54 EST 2001

Beth,

A family environment?

Technically, I can't remember a movie we've shown (except maybe "Dune") which wasn't R-rated. We've shown "The Matrix," we've shown "Dogma," and "Ninja Scroll" was playing last weekend. (I can remember the scene in that movie that prompted your posting. Good Lord!)

Even if someone suggests an R-rated film a week ahead of time, how would we know if it's okay to show? Set up a WPLUG Hays Office that would only allow Barney the G-Dam Dinosaur?

So before we get into the habit of censoring ourselves, we need a yardstick to measure this sort of material against, so we can practice restraint.

There wasn't anything outright objectionable in Dogma or The Matrix, IMO. There were a few violent scenes in both, and the discourse and $#!T-talking in Dogma didn't seem to upset any of *us*. Would it offend visitors? Some scenes in Ninja Scroll were sexually explicit, though I don't think sex is reason enough to shoot down a film. (I was offended by what I saw, which was non-consensual.)

The minors who belong to WPLUG are (or at least, have been) intelligent enough to handle movies with a harder edge. Even with last week's glitch, they aren't gonna become rapists or murderers or anything.

So, let's give it another chance. Because I don't want you or anyone else to decide what's appropriate for us to watch.

--- Dave Ostroske
    eksortso at linuxmail.org