[wplug] Accel. X.

Robert Dale rdale at wplug.org
Wed May 30 18:01:35 EDT 2001

On 25 May 2001, Doug Green wrote:

> Is the ATI Rage Mobility chipset (used in many laptops) accelerated with
> XFree86 4.0.3, or not?

Yes.

> The Xfree86 website gives conflicting info- stating first that
> acceleration IS provided using the Mach64 driver, and then implying the
> Mach64 is deprecated (3.x), and I should use the "ati" driver for 4.x...
> what's the deal?

You use the ati driver for 4.x.

> Obviously, this isn't a big deal. The fact is that my display works
> perfectly well, just not accelerated. I'd just like to kill some time at
> work playing tuxracer is all... ;)

What makes you believe that it is unaccelerated?

> PS- Other weirdness: "gears" puts out about 146fps... isnt' this a
> little fast for an UNaccelerated server??? I have nothing to compare it
> to, so I really don't know. At any rate, to say that tuxracer bogs is a
> major understatement (maybe 1fps). ;)

Are you talking about DRI hardware acceleration?

If so, there are two components to this:
  1.  kernel AGP driver
  2.  DRI in X

If you don't get 1, you won't get 2 (as is the case with my laptop).

--
Robert Dale

wplug member since 1998