[wplug] Lilo problem in Mandrake 8.0

Hagbard Celine hceline at softhome.net
Mon May 28 18:40:38 EDT 2001

> I have installed Mandrake 8.0 on my windows 98 box. I bought a second hard
> disk to dedicate to linux. I installed linux on the new drive hdb. Windows
> remained on hda which is the boot disk.
>
> I rebooted after installing lilo during the mandrake install. I got LI
> followed by repeated 01's. I rebooted with my boot disk and all was fine. I
> removed lilo with fdisk /mbr from my Windows 98 startup disk. I now boot into
> Windows 98 unless I have my boot floppy.

<snip>

Have a look at the Multi-OS-HOWTO, at www.linuxdoc.org.  That very problem is
described, with a solution, which involves remapping the drives to their
BIOS IDs.  I don't remember exactly how this is done, which is why I refer you
to the document.

This particular HOWTO was actually written with removable hard drives in mind,
but the solution can apply to just about any setup.

Hagbard