[wplug] debian package questions.

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Sun May 27 21:18:30 EDT 2001

On Sun, 27 May 2001 13:35:53 John Harrold wrote:
> now stdio.h is a pretty standard library, so i figured it would find the
> package and install it. it appeared that it was in libc6-dev so i thought
> that was easy enough so i tried to install the libc6-dev package and i
> got
> this error:

You should check to see if perhaps stdio.h exists and the script is just
not finding it:
#locate stdio.h
If it exists, something else is wrong.

With Debian problems, the #debian irc channel, and the debian users mailing
list @debian.org are incredible resources.  Most often, someone has already
run into and fixed this problem and is willing to do so.  I would suggest
hopping on the irc.openprojects.net network via an irc client and asking in
#debian.  The Debian mailing list has a huge amount of traffic on it, so
that may not be the best idea.

It's hard to tell, because I'm not completely up to date with what's going
on in unstable.  So I firstly, I would recommend asking in #debian.
Secondly, here is 'zman's down and dirty fix':

Find the file (probably /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-blah-blah.deb) and
run dpkg -i --force-overwrite <insert file name here>
That will make the operation go succesfully and shouldn't be a problem
assuming that there is nothing wrong with libc6-dev's rpcgen.

Lastly, you could tell the debian team about the problem and wait for a
resolution, through a mailing list, #debian, or bugs.debian.org.

--
Zach Paine
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key