[wplug] libncurses question

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Mon May 21 11:13:03 EDT 2001

On 21 May 2001, Doug Green wrote:

> OK, here we go again (yet another question). I have RH7.1, for those of
> you who aren't completely familiar with my setup yet ;).
>
> I am installing the print drivers for networked Tektronics printers (a
> Xerox product). The "setup" binary complains that I don't have (or it
do you have a phaser? is this one of those color/wax printers? whats the
largest paper size it will take? do you have any plotters over at upmc?

> can't find) libncurses.so.4. This appears to be true, as "whereis
> libncurses.so.4" returns the following:
>
> [dgreen at lennie dgreen]$ whereis libncurses.so.4
> libncurses.so: /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 /usr/lib/libncurses.so
> [dgreen at lennie dgreen]$
>
> So, here is the question: can I simply put a symbolic link to
> libncurses.so.5 (as in: ln -s libncurses.so.5 libncurses.so.4), or is
> this a bad idea? Can/should I install an older ncurses (can they
> co-exist)??

goto rpmfind.net and search for the linncurses.so.4. this will return alot
of packages. find one for redhat 7.1 or 7.0. DONT use one for another
dist. this can cause alot of problems. try to install it with rpm -Uvh
package.rpm (where package.rpm is the ncurses package you downloaded). if
there is a conflict it should say so at this point.

let me know if this doesnt work.

--
john
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish.