[wplug] Moving User directories?

William Powell billpwl1 at home.com
Sat May 19 23:32:33 EDT 2001

My hard drive is almost full.  I want to leave that drive intact but
move the users home directories over to a separate drive, say /dev/hdb.

as I  conceive it, these are the required steps:
as root, I have to

a. power down, install the drive, boot system, then format the new
drive,
b. with all users logged off, copy the users directories to the new
drive,
c. delete the old users directories
d. change the fstab file to mount /dev/hdb at /home.
e. have the system re-read the fstab file.

Is there anything I missed?

Is this covered specifically in any documentation? If not, this would be
a good topic for a tutorial How-to.

Bill