[wplug] wu-ftpd?

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Wed May 16 13:06:35 EDT 2001

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Doug Green wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I'm setting up an ftp server on this RH7.1 machine at work. Security
> needs are... ehh... medium. My only REAL concern is that my machine
> would be used to access other machines in this network (there's nothing
> too exciting on this machine unfortunately). Is wu-ftpd sufficiently
> secure for this purpose? I'm not so paranoid about clear-text passwords,
> but I do NOT want guest/anonymous logins.
>
> Also, any help on setup/configuration would be greatly appreciated (a
> point to a HOW-TO would be perfect). Thanks!

i normally use wuftp +tcp wrappers. if you are signed up to get the redhat
eratta then things should be ok. then when there is a problem you update
it just like any service. you can use tcp wrappers, or ipchains/tables at
the kernel level to filter out people who arent supposed to access your
computer. tcp wrappers are a good idea reguardless of the service. they
are really easy to set up.

create a file in etc called hosts.deny and put the following line in it:
ALL:ALL

then noone can access the computer through the services started with
inetd. to tell which computers can create a file in etc called hosts.allow
and put something like this:
ALL: .upmc.edu
in.ftpd: .bellatlantic.net
sshd: .some.domain.com 192.168.0.

the ALL will let anyone whose ip address resloves to a .upmc.edu domain
into all services. the in.ftpd line will let people from the bellatlantic
domain ftp to the box. the in.sshd line will let anyone from the
192.158.0. subnet and the .come.domiain.com domain ssh to the box.

--
john