[wplug] networking question

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Tue May 15 08:35:25 EDT 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Doug Green wrote:

> Hi-
> I have a networking question- 2 actually. I'm running RH 7.1 on an Acer
> 602TER laptop:
>
> 1) Is there a way to set up the /etc/sysconfig/network file so that I
> don't have to change the gateway manually every time? At home I need to
> comment the gateway out (as I use pppoe with verizon online), but I have
> a gateway at work. On the same note, will it matter what I set my eth0
> IP address to? I am using the same setting as at work, and it doesn't
> seem to be a problem, but I'm wondering about the "hosts" file under
> /etc/, where I have defined this IP as my desktop computer at work (ie:
> obviously, if I ssh to my work IP it may not work). Ideally I'd have two
> IP addresses, but I don't... instead, I literally unplug the ethernet
> from the desktop and plug it into my laptop. Any suggestions?

i have ideas about this but they would take time and money :). basically
this type of situation is solved by dhcp. that means you would have to
have a dhcp server at school and at home-which means a firewall or
something at each place so that your dhcp server doesnt confuse the dhcp
server they might be running at upmc and verizon. there may be better
ways, but this is what i see.

> 2) How do I restart networking services without rebooting? I tried
> ifconfig eth0 down (and up) which brought the interface down and up, but
> didn't really read the scripts again. Is there something like "service
> network restart"?? Thanks!

in redhat 7.1
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network  restart

should do it.