[wplug] apt-get problems in debian.

John Harrold harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Tue May 8 07:47:37 EDT 2001

ok this is my fault... sort of. i was using apt-get in a virtual terminal
to get the latest and greatest postgresql. well while switching back to X
the keyboard and mouse locked. if i had another computer at my apartment i
could have ssh'd to it and drop to init 3, but alas i am a one computer
guy. any so now i am stuck with what appears to be a partial postgresql
upgrade. now whenever i try to install stuff i get the following error

<SNIP>
$:/usr/src# apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.4
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  pgaccess: Depends: libpgtcl (>= 6.5.2) but it is not going to be installed
  postgresql-client: Depends: libpgsql2.1 (>= 7.1) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libpgsql2.1 (>= 7.1) but it is not going to be installed
  postgresql-contrib: Depends: postgresql (>= 6.5.2) but it is not going to be installed
  task-database-pg: Depends: postgresql but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libecpg3 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
</SNIP>

taking the suggestion i try 'apt-get -f install'

<SNIP>
$:/usr/src# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  libecpg3 libperl5.6 libpgperl libpgsql2.1 libpgtcl postgresql
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libpgsql2
  libecpg3 libperl5.6 libpgperl libpgsql2.1 libpgtcl postgresql
0 packages upgraded, 6 newly installed, 1 to remove and 366 not upgraded.
6 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/2694kB of archives. After unpacking 9474kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
dpkg: libpgsql2: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
 python-pygresql depends on libpgsql2.
(Reading database ... 53230 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libpgsql2 ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libpgsql2.prerm: /etc/postgresql/postmaster.conf: No
such file or directory
dpkg: error processing libpgsql2 (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
 libpgsql2
</SNIP>

which removes the warm fuzzy feeling i have inside and replaces it with a
urning to beat my head against a hard object. hey. i was using 'testing'
afterall.

so my question. can this be fixed? do i need to reinstall? it's not a
problem but i really dont like it when the option is reinstall. thats
right up there with rebooting to solve a problem.

all in all debian is really cool. the apt-get stuff is far superior to the
options available with rpm.. or at least the options i was aware of.

my bigest hangup stems from becoming accustomed to  paradigms set in by
years of redhat use.

--
thanks
john