[wplug] User permissions

FuzzyBear flung at ambesc.homeip.net
Mon May 7 15:24:48 EDT 2001

chmod 666 /dev/ttys0
set read wnd write bits for all users on char device /dev/ttys0.

man 2 chmod
for more information on the acceptable octets.

Thanks,
Fei Lung
Comet Way Inc.

On Mon, 7 May 2001, ROn Jr. wrote:

I'm running a Mandrake 7.2 distro, and it's working
great except for a few little non distro specific
things I'm running into. How do I give rw permissions
to a regular user for my serial ports? I have a
handspring visor, and a serial hotsnc, (I gave up on
getting my USB one to work for now) I can sync fine as
root, but on my regular non admin account  it tells me
I don't have read write permission for /dev/ttys0 or
whatever. I've added myself to the tty group, I've
tried reading the man pages for chown, and chmod, and
I'm just not getting anywhere.  Could someone please
explain how to open /dev/*** devices for other
non-root users?. . . Please :)

Thanks
ROn jr.