[wplug] debian stuff.

Zach Paine zman at wplug.org
Sat May 5 00:13:58 EDT 2001

> this may seem kinda rudimentary but i'm trying to move over to debian and
> i have a few questions.

No problem!

> i want a couple things in the unstable dist. so is it possible to install
> the latest stable (potato 2.2r3 i believe) and just apt get the things i
> want out of the unstable port. or do i need to install the unstable port
> completely? also how unstable is unstable? is it as bad as kde2 under
> redhat 7.1? i've poked around, but i havent seen isos for the unstable.
> is
> there something i'm missing. i've mirrored the potato isos using
> debcdmirror, but at the time ( a month ago) unstable isos wern't real
> apparent.

If you want just a few things from unstable this is the best thing to do:
Go to packages.debian.org and search for what you want, while selecting
unstable for your distribution.  Download the actual package and any
dependancies it may have (these will be listed on each package's page..
warning: depending on what you want to install, you may need to install a
lot of unstable packages).  Unstable is very stable for me.  I've never run
stable and I've rarely had a serious problem.  Again I say for me.. to play
safe make sure you check out the headlines in the #debian room on the
openprojects.net irc network for any broken packages that may be in
unstable.  I update about once a week.

Check out this page for cd images: http://cdimage.debian.org/ch1211.html

> from what i've read, you can configure your box to get debs from some
> server and then apt-get package name. then your box will download and
> install the package and any dependencies. in order to create a local
> mirror, is it sufficient to just mirror the distribution or is there
> something else i need to mirror?

Have you installed debain yet?  If not bring your box the the meeting
tommorrow :)  What you hear is true, except you don't really need to
configure much other than tell debian whether to get stable, testing, or
unstable packages.  apt-get install apache , will do just that.

> pppoe stuff. i see potato comes with pppoe 1.x. how does that compare to
> the stuff from roaring penguin? does it even matter?

No idea (I don't know anything about pppoe)

> feel free slap me around with knowlege, i cant get enough.

Hope I contributed enough without hurting :)

--
Zach Paine
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key