[wplug] Serious ADSL help?

Doug Green green at np.awing.upmc.edu
Thu Mar 29 15:31:12 EST 2001

Hey-
I'm stuck emailing from my work machine, because my home confuzer crashed and
burned. If anyone <ANYONE> can help I would really appreciate it!

Although I'm on the email list, please respond to me directly at
green at np.awing.upmc.edu.This is what's happening:

Starting a few months ago, my computer progressively became more and more
unresponsive for unknown reasons. I backed up all my important information
and wiped the system clean (both partitions of a dual boot Win98/Mandrake 7.2
setup).

Upon reinstall, my pppoe will NOT work under linux. I have tried both the
pppoe configuration from within Mandrake 7.2 AND the roaring penguin solution
(configured by hand). Neither will work. Issuing "/usr/sbin/adsl-connect"
will attempt to connect for about 2 minutes before it times out. The command
"find / eth0" reports NO files with eth0, but I have configured and
re-configured this over and over again.

I used my laptop to check the hardware (ADSL modem and ethernet cable), and
it is fine. The laptop connects perfectly.

I have re-installed multiple OS's by this point, including: Mandrake 7.2 and
8.0 beta2 (kernel pppoe support), FreeBSD 4.2, Slackware 7.1, and Redhat 7.0.
They all work fine, but will NOT connect to the eth0 for the pppoe
connection.

Importantly, I re-installed Win98, and winpoet DO work on the same hardware.
This is clearly a problem only for linux(ish) distribtions.

I am using Verizon online with a Westel DSL modem (and a Netgear (tulip) fast
ethernet), and the connection worked fine until I repartitioned/reinstalled.

Can anyone please offer advice? Thank you in advance...

Doug