[wplug] partitions

Rafael E. Herrera raffo at neuronet.pitt.edu
Sun Mar 25 18:42:41 EST 2001

Doug Green wrote:

> I am using a dual boot setup on my home computer- one partition with
> Windows98, one with Linux (same physical drive, hda). I recently
> repartitioned my hard drive, and in doing so, I reassigned all the same
> sector/cylinder info to the Windows partition that it originally had. I
> reformatted ONLY the linux partition, and reinstalled (I was playing with
> different distros).
>
> Now, here's the question: I cannot access windows, presumably because I
> scrubbed its partition table. However, since I did NOT "format" that data,
> is there a way to restore the partition information, or make that data
> accessible again?

If you used fdisk to "repartition", as you say, your disk, then you may
kiss that data good bye. There is a tool called 'parted' that is
supposed to recover partitions, but I've never used it.

Assuming you just moved/resized your windows partition. This entry in
lilo.conf should let you boot windows:

other = /dev/hda1
  label = win
  table = /dev/hda
  loader = /boot/chain.b

change the drive according to your system.

--
     Rafael