[wplug] Exabyte tape drives and tapes.

Brian Sammon Brian_Sammon at yardarm.fac.cs.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 23 04:31:01 EST 2001

> Does anyone know how difficult it would be to find 8mm tapes for an
> Exabyte 8205XLS SCSI tape drive?  I am considering picking one up, but I

If these use standard 8mm data tapes (I think they do), you'll have no
real problem finding tapes for them (i.e., maybe not always available at
CompUSA et al, but dozens of mail-order sources)

8mm data tapes are essentially the same tapes as are used in 8mm video
cameras, just (I think) made to higher standards or something.
So, in a pinch, you could use 8mm video tapes, but they might not be as
reliable.