[wplug] Favorite X Terms

Steve Jones sjones at support.ddiworld.com
Thu Mar 22 15:58:25 EST 2001

Hey Rob,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 03:27:03PM -0500, Robert Dale wrote:

> I went from xterm to ETerm about a year ago. My desktop
> is always covered with terms so I like the transparent
> background with shading feature - otherwise I would never
> get to see my background image ;)

Yeah, I work that way too. I usually find it difficult to
get to the root window to click up a root menu, etc. 8^)

> And since that year, ETerm has been sitting in .9 dev. It
> doesn't seem like it's going to ever hit that magic 1.0.
> I don't have any major problems with .8.10, but I have
> never compared ETerm to any other term (except xterm, of
> course). So, I'm just curious what everyone else is using,
> why you like it, and possibly as to how it compares with
> ETerm.

I use a combination of wterm and rxvt. Wterm does
transparent w/shading and IIRC it's rxvt-based. I use the
rxvt with a pixmap background. I combine them as a hint to
the function or task associated with the window, or maybe
for different accounts (e.g. root vs user). Sometimes it's
enough to have one transparent and one opaque. Other times
I use more rxvt's with several different pixmaps in the bg.
My impression is that rxvt and wterm are lightweight. Rxvt
was designed primarily as a leaner xterm; the additional
functionality was a secondary concern.

--
Steve Jones                            <steve at jonescape.com>

PGP: 1A98501A
fp:  D695 6031 30F5 70E6 975F  C876 1956 946C 1A98 501A

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of
a dog, it's too dark to read."
                                      -- G. Marx