[wplug] Mandrake update problem

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Wed Mar 21 21:03:01 EST 2001

After trying to update Mandrake 7.2,  I couldn't su as a user
because it couldn't access something it needed with xalf.  I
tried to update xalf and got:

error getting record ld-linux.so.2 from
//var/lib/rpm/requiredby.rpm

I also found that my update of linuxconf and it's three
companion packages was screwed up.  The Mandrake Update showed
the new updates were still needed, but on attempting to do so
I get that it is already updated.  I eventually found that two
copies of each (new and old) were installed; any attempt to
remove the old one brings up a message it will take out a slew
of other packages, so I abort.  Forcing an install/upgrade
brings up the above error with the requiredby.rpm.

I've been round and around on this trying it with the various
rpm front ends and from the command line.  I'm wondering if I
need xalf to get the rpm to work and vice versa.  The xalf is
involved with a number of things that don't work now and I
can't seem to rpm at all.

The ld-linux.so.2 is a symlink and the file it points to is
there.

Any ideas?