[wplug] hardware

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Sun Mar 18 21:45:42 EST 2001

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Logan wrote:

> Hmm...I have a problem then.
> I've bought a new computer (mostly from the expomart) and when I turn it on
> it only displays the video card's BIOS, it doesn't beep when the motherbords
> usually do, and it doesn't display the motherbord's BIOS splash screen. I've
> tried swaping arround the drives and such, but it hasn't produced anything.
>
> Specs:
> 10/100 network card
> Geforce 2 MX
> 700 Mhz Celeron
> 50x CD rom
> floppy stolen from 486
> hard disk stolen from 486

have you tried swapping parts with your friends? it could be that the
memory, cpu, or videocard is bad. if you have access to parts you should
try this. unplug all of the drives and unnecessary cards (nic, sound,
etc). see if it boots with the bare min. (cpu, ram, video). if it doesnt
then try swapping, one by one, the cpu, ram, and video card. if all that
fails, then there is probably something wrong with the mb.

> it's all EIDE. I can't figure out for the life of me (nor can my friends)
> why it wouln't boot (the hard disk is even fromated!)
>
> -help

john