[wplug] Newbie questions....

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Fri Mar 16 20:21:33 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Vincent DiAngelus wrote:

> OK, thats about what I was hoping for. I put 100M into swap. I didn't create
> a /var I don't know if it's possible to create it later or not. I have
> it up and running now, I used the custom install because for whatever
> reason when I tried desktop or server it would not see my mouse?? Now I
> have Gnome running and playing with it a bit.

when i first started using linux i dumped everything in (/). i didnt
realize the benifit to having separate partitions till later. you can
still move things around if you want to later. if you need help you can
bring the box to the install fest and someone can help you with it. mainly
you just have to boot to single user mode (type 'linux single'  a
lilo). then you can stop syslog and the various daemons that use
/var. then you basically do the same things i said about chaning /home.

> One other problem is the video Res. I can get the entire desktop on the
> screen but everything is soooo big! I'd like to bump it to 1024X768 or
> something close....is there an easy way to do this? I remember seeing at
> the install fest someone had an app that would switch between like 2 or
> 3 res just with a click. How do I get that?

if x is configured for the different video modes you can scroll through
them by using the +/- on the numeric keypad _while_ holding down control
and alt.

> Thank again for the info (and humor) it helps in this frustrating
> process.  Limp Bizkit "break stuff" dosen't help either :))
> Vincent DiAngelus

breaking stuff is ok just make sure it's someone else's stuff.

john