[wplug] Gnome

David G Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Thu Mar 15 14:36:24 EST 2001

Ok, just checked the facts on this.  Cygwin is apparently something
different entirely.  The thing I read about is called U/Win.  It was put
out by AT&T and, according to the article, it is "a Win32 application that
provides the KornShell Plus under Windows, complete with over 300 shell
commands and utilities."  Charles Northrup, currently CTO of Global
Technologies, and formerly of AT&T, ported Gnome to it.  He says that the
port was actually fairly easy, and claims that only 100 lines of code had
to be changed.  Apparently, they've also ported Apache, bash, and some
other stuff. (This info comes from the March/April issue of Maximum
Linux.)
I haven't tried any of this out, although I'm considering it.  The U/WIN
download page is www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin.  Gnome for U/WIN is
at www.gtlinc.com.  I haven't seen these pages yet; will check out.  If
anybody tries this, I'd love to hear about it.
-dgm